Saturday, September 30, 2006
Thai Barbecue Chicken
When most folks things of barbecue chicken, visions of chicken grilled andslathered in barbecue sauce come to mind. Living in Houston, I definitely grew up on this type of barbecue chicken. But, I also grew up with Thai barbecue chicken which is quite different from Southern-style barbecue.
If you've never had Thai barbecue, it's fragrant with the flavors of cilantro, garlic, and soy sauce. Here's a recipe adapted from Thailand: The Beautiful Cookbook. It reminds me very much of my parents' Thai barbecue.
THAI BARBECUE CHICKEN
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons sherry
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teapspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
8 chicken thighs, skin-on
1) In a large ziploc bag, combine all the ingredients except the chicken thighs. Seal and shake until well mixed.
2) Add in the chicken thighs. Seal bag, and shake until chicken is well-coated. Allow chicken to marinate for 15 to 30 minutes.
3) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4) In a large foil-lined baking pan, place the chicken skin-side down in a single layer.
5) Bake for 25 minutes. Turn chicken thighs over. Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
6) Flip chicken thighs over again so they are skin-side up.
7) Broil the chicken (out 5 inches from the broiler) for 8-10 minutes or until done.
Makes 4 servings.